Choosing the right type of garage door to suit your home can be a very daunting task with the large variety of colours, sizes, textiles and garage door types available on the market to choose from. Not only does your garage door add to the overall look and feel of the exterior of your house, adding value to your property, but it also provides the much-needed security for your valuables, which is why it is important to get it right.
The team at Garage Door Repair Man have pulled together to create this handy guide on the types of garage doors available and to help determine the perfect fit to suit the aesthetic of your home.
Up And Over Garage Doors
One of the most popular types of garage doors in the UK are up and over garage doors, which are made from a singular sheet of material that is lifted upwards and folded backwards to lay flush with the ceiling of your garage. There are two types of up and over garage doors:
A canopy up and over garage door leaves a third of the garage door protruding outwards from the opening of your garage, creating a canopy-like cover.
A retractable up and over garage door is similar to that of a canopy, however, when the garage door is rolled backwards, it slides into the opening of your garage with no overhang.
The benefits of up and over garage doors include:
- One of the easiest types of garage door to buy and install as it is essentially one large sheet
- Two mechanism options available to choose from
- The space both inside and outside of the garage is maximised due to the door folding backwards to sit flush with the ceiling
- Canopies provide protection from the elements when working inside your garage
- A great option for garages with no power connection available
- Available to be made automatic
- Perfect for single sized garages
Roller Garage Doors
Roller garage doors are rolled upward to sit behind the opening of your garage if there is the necessary headroom to accommodate the door, otherwise, they sit within the opening. Roller garage doors are typically controlled via an electric remote.
The benefits of roller garage doors include:
- Available for both single and double width garages
- The perfect option for garages that have little headroom space available
- Outside and inside space are maximised due to the door being rolled up vertically inside the opening of the garage
- This type of garage door is fitted as automatic as standard but is also available as non-automated
- Due to its electric operation, this type of garage door is more secure than your standard garage door
- Available to be insulated or non-insulated – perfect for those garages directly connected to the inside of a home
Sectional Garage Doors
Sectional garage doors are one of the most secure types of garage doors on the market. Constructed of large foldable sections, this type of garage door is hooked into place when closed, making it hard for a burglar to gain entry.
The benefits of sectional garage doors include:
- A very stylish garage door type
- Outside and inside space are maximised due to being vertically lifted and not protruding outside of the garage opening
- Cars can be parked almost flush without affecting operation or entry
- Available to be insulated or non-insulated
- Available for both automatic and manual operation
- Sealed with rubber gaskets – protection of valuables inside the garage from the elements
- Offer a high level of security
Side-Hinged Garage Doors
Side-hinged garage doors are opened outwards from your garage, in a similar way to traditional double doors, allowing to account for obstructions within the garage or to maximise the space available for storage.
The benefits of sectional garage doors include:
- Great for garages that are accessed on foot regularly
- Ideal for non-car garage users
- Automatic operation is available
- Easy installation
- This type of garage door is generally low maintenance and is very easy to operate
Sliding Garage Doors
Sliding garage doors are opened to sit flush along one side of your garage. This type of garage door can be opened partially and is great for fast pedestrian access.
The benefits of sliding garage doors include:
- Space-saving design, allowing the full height of the garage to be used
- This type of garage door is fitted with manual operation as standard but can be automated
- Made to measure to fit the dimensions of your garage
- Great for double-width garages
- Great for garages that have regular pedestrian access
- Sliding garage doors are also low maintenance
How Can Garage Door Repair Man Help You?
For more information on the different types of garage doors available, or if you garage door repair in Derby, please contact a member of our friendly team for assistance. Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 542 7978 or contact our emergency engineer directly on 07957 353 228, for an emergency repair.